Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Miracles. Don Cicchetti 10 24 2017

Many of us have seen miracles. 

As a young man of 18 or so, I was the only one in my family who could stay up all night and drive the car.  We are from NYC, so we would often take a road trip from our home in California to NYC in the summer to visit family.  There were four of us kids, and often my Grandma or one of my aunts would come along, so we would have 7 people in our big blue 1963 Chevrolet station wagon.  Being that we had no air conditioning in those days, we would often drive at night when it was cooler and get an air-conditioned motel room (hopefully with a pool!) during the day.  Sometimes we would just switch drivers and drive all day and night. As you can imagine, those trips were kind of a blur, but usually we only drove 10 hours or so per day.

On one of these trips, headed east in the Midwest, I was driving at about 2am.  I can't remember the city, but it was a 3 lane freeway and I was in a long sweeping left hand turn on the freeway, in the far left lane.  Suddenly, a voice, as clear as a bell said "change lanes, now!".   Everyone in the car was still asleep, so I knew it was not one of them.  Besides, the voice had come from inside my mind, not from the car.   I ask "why?", and it came back, only loud this time "CHANGE LANES. NOW!".  It was a voice so full of authority that I did not disobey it any longer.  I moved into the center lane.

At that moment, an old car, with no lights, came roaring around the bend in the lane I had just vacated. Going the wrong way at very high speed...  The combined vehicle speed in that head-on wreck would have been more than 150 miles per hour.  No one would have survived.  It literally appeared a mere moment after I had changed lanes.  I just stared at the road for a while in shock and gradually put the whole thing aside, telling no one.  Until now. 

What happened was as pure a miracle as one can experience.  It was a direct interference in our world by God and it saved all of our lives.

Years later, I realized how profound that experience really was, and I realized how concrete and real God's grace for us is.


Yes, there are miracles. That was one of mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home